Moves effects can be anything you can think of; they are as limitless as your ideas. Don’t feel constrained to making rolls, +1 bonuses, and swapping stats. Since all moves flow from the fiction, a fictional effect like “They treat you as a friend” is just as powerful and useful as +1 forward— maybe more so.
Here are some broad types of effects, any given move may use more than one of them:
- Roll. Examples: Defy Danger , Cast a Spell (Wizard ), Called Shot (Ranger ).
- Substitute stats. Examples: Dwarf (Fighter ).
- Negate damage. Examples: Man’s Best Friend (Ranger ).
- Give a bonus or penalty, forward or ongoing. Examples: Underdog (Thief), Smite (Paladin).
- Deal or heal damage. Examples: Volley , Backstab (Thief), Arcane Art (Bard).
- Choose options. Examples: Spout Lore , Discern Realities , Ritual (Wizard).
- Hold & Spend. Examples: Dominate (Wizard spell ), Trap Expert (Thief).
- Ask & Answer. Examples: Charming and Open (Bard), Spout Lore.
- Change circumstances. Examples: Reputation (Bard).
- Mark experience. Examples: End of Session .
- Call for more information. Examples: Parley, Ritual (Wizard).
- Add options. Examples: Called Shot (Ranger).